Thursday, July 3, 2014

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.


This was one of my most anticipated books of spring so of course I had to read it the day it was released. This was also the first Jenny Han book that I have read and before I go any further I will say that I finally understand the hype surrounding her books.

To All the Boys I've Loved Before is about a girl in high school named Lara Jean who every time she has ever been in love with a boy has penned a letter to him containing all of her feelings towards him. Instead of giving these letters to the people they are meant for, she hides them away in a hat box until one day she discovers that the box is empty and one by one the boys she loved begin to approach her with the letters they were never meant to see.

I LOVED this book. I read it in one sitting because I was so engrossed in the story and had to know what was going to happen to Lara Jean. This book managed to encompass everything that I wanted in a contemporary book. It had mystery (who sent the letters?), swoon worthy romance, but most surprisingly it featured a story about family. The relationship I loved the most was that of Lara Jean and her older sister Margot. One of the boys in the letters is Margot's boyfriend which causes a lot of sisterly conflict but I just loved to see the entire family overcome obstacles together.

I adored both Josh and Peter and I liked how Jenny Han didn't need to make one of them dislikable in order to make the "love triangle" work. And it's not even really a love triangle in the typical sense. I just loved this book so much and loved Jenny Hans writing. I can't wait for the sequel!!

5 Stars 


Disclaimer: I read this book back in April, I just wanted to have at least one review up on my blog when I made it public!

3 comments:

  1. I must read this novel because I love this author, your book review is great ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book as well!! Great review too I totally agree I loved how Jenny Han made Lara Jean have such a good relationship with her family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book so much! I can't wait for the sequel.

    ReplyDelete